"HR Excellence in Research" Logo
The HR Excellence in Research Logo is awarded by the European Commission to universities, research and funding organizations abiding by the principles provided for in the European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct of Recruitment of Researchers.
The HR Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R), on the grounds of which the HR Excellence in Research Logo is awarded, is a means of supporting employers and funding institutions in practically applying the principles of the Charter and the Code. It has the following characteristics:
- It is implemented by universities and research and funding organizations on a volunteer basis.
- It is elaborated on the basis of internal self-assessment, taking into consideration the autonomy of the institution.
- The awarding procedure is facilitated and easy in the sense that it excludes complicated procedures and accentuates on the differences between institutions and national research systems.
The HRS4R consists of three phases:
1. Initial phase
for the application for the "HR Excellence in Research Award";
2. Implementation phase
- the Initial Action Plan (24 months after the HR Award was granted, followed by an Interim Assessment);
- the Revised Action Plan (36 months after the Interim assessment);
3. Award Renewal phase
- Renewal with Site Visit (five years after the initial HR Award was granted);
- Renewal without Site Visit (36 months after the Renewal with Site Visit).
The timeline, according to which institutions undergoes the subsequent cycles, while moving from progress to quality in Human Resources Management, is shown below.
OTM-R policy of VFU "Chernorizets Hrabar"
Open, Transparent and Merit-based Recruitment (OTM-R)
Open, transparent and merit-based recruitment (OTM-R) is one of the pillars of the European Charter for Researchers
and in particular of the Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers
, launched in 2005.
OTM-R brings benefits to researchers, institutions, a country's research system, contributes to the full implementation of the European Research Area (ERA) and to an increase in the cost-effectiveness of investments in research. More specifically, OTM-R ensures that the best person for the job is recruited
, guarantees equal opportunities
and access for all, facilitates developing an international portfolio (cooperation, competition, mobility) and makes research careers more attractive
Research Performing Organisations are encouraged to carry out an initial review of the current system. A list of questions and a step-by-step guide are provided. Research Performing Organisations may decide to use these instruments as such, or to review and design their OTM-R system drawing inspiration from the material provided.
It is strongly recommended to develop and implement an OTM-R policy that encourages, in particular, external applicants by:
a) providing clear and transparent information on the whole selection process, including selection criteria and an indicative timetable;
b) posting a clear and concise job advertisement with links to detailed information on, for example, required competencies and duties, working conditions, entitlements, training opportunities, career development, gender equality policies, etc.;
c) ensuring that the levels of qualifications and competencies required are in line with the needs of the position and not set as a barrier to entry, e.g., too restrictive and/or requiring unnecessary qualifications;
d) considering the inclusion of explicit pro-active elements for underrepresented groups;
e) keeping the administrative burden for the candidate (proof of qualifications, translations, number of copies required, etc.) to a minimum;
f) reviewing, where appropriate, the institutional policy on languages.
Source: EURAXESS portal
OTM-R policy of VFU “Chernorizets Hrabar”
VFU “Chernorizets Hrabar” is fully committed to the principles of open, transparent and merit-based recruitment. Our recruitment policy is laid down in Ordinance #3 for Academic Staff
and in Ordinance #12 for acquiring of scientific and education degree “Doctor”, and scientific degree “Doctor of Science”
Recruitment criteria are as follows:
- Criteria for acquiring of the scientific and education degree “Doctor”;
- Criteria for acquiring of the scientific degree “Doctor of Science”;
- Criteria for recruitment for academic position “Assistant”;
- Criteria for recruitment for academic position “Senior Assistant”;
- Criteria for recruitment for academic position “Associate Professor”;
- Criteria for recruitment for academic position “Professor”.
Last updated – 15 October 2018
Midterm report on the Self-Assessment (15th January 2012 – 21st February 2014)
Self-Assessment Report on the Implementation of Principles, laid down in the C&C, at Varna Free University “Chernorizets Hrabar” (15th January 2012 – 31th March 2016)
The European Charter for Researchers - The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers
Ethical Code for the Research Work at VFU
Actualized action plan for implementation of principles, laid down in the Code and the Charter of Researchers
2016 – 2020